Parallax design allows the creation of single page websites to offer more interactive graphics and engaging functionality to the users. The effect becomes apparent when the background images are made to move slower than the elements in the foreground, giving the users a sense of motion and depth. However, just like every website design, parallax design has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Some of them have been discussed below:
- Visually Appealing: Parallax design is really appealing and creates an intriguing visual effect for the visitors. It is a powerful tool that uses a story telling approach to compel the users to scroll down the website till the end. Parallax websites are also a great option to enliven a website that does not has a lot of information to share.
- Easy Navigation: In a parallax design, all the information can be put up on a single page, thus, saving users from the hassle of navigating through several web pages. Apart from scrolling down the page, users can also navigate by clicking on the links distributed along the website.
- Reduction In Bounce Rate: This indicates the number of users who visited your website and left it without viewing the inner web pages. A higher bounce rate can have a negative impact on your site’s search engine rankings. A parallax design has an in-built reduced bounce rate as there are no additional pages that the user needs to visit. Plus, the storytelling approach makes the users to stay at a page for a longer time.
- Increased Load Time: When all the text, high definition images and animated elements are combined into a single web page, it becomes difficult for the browser to quickly load the site. This may cause the visitors to leave the website, thus, increasing its bounce rate.
- Not Good For SEO: Single page websites can be really hard to optimize, due to the lost potential to incorporate title tags, meta descriptions, keywords etc. Also, a single URL is used for all the content which is not good from SEO viewpoint.
While all these limitations are valid and cannot be overlooked, the eye catching website design is a great way to create a slick visual experience for your visitors. However, it is advisable to create a balance between design and functionality in a way that keeps you a step ahead of your competitors.